Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mount St. Helens

One of my fondest memories:

July 29th, 1998, brothers Mike, Tom and I hiked, climbed, and crawled (with tongues hanging out) to the top of Mt. St. Helens. I am reminded of that wonderful adventure every time Mt. St. Helens is in the news like today (top) burping out some steam. It's hard to believe we actually sat on her rim looking down at that growing mound in the middle. I distinctly remember a guy next to me with binoculars who claimed she was burping out puffs of steam then. I was too tired to care. The trip down was a lot harder than any of us expected except maybe Tom. I managed to give both brothers a good scare with my butt slide down a glacier and I'll forever mourn the toe nails I lost on both my big toes. And I would do it all again...

1 comment:

FishTaxi said...

I saw that on the news today and remembered the big BOOM in 1980. I don't think I would go climbing up there any time soon!

 
hits